Safety breaches result in agency worker trapping hand in machine

A polythene film manufacturer was sentenced for safety breaches after a worker trapped his hand in machinery.

Huddersfield Magistrates’ Court heard how the injured person broke the little finger on his right hand while operating machinery in March 2014 at Total Polyfilm Ltd.’s Brighouse plant.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the company failed to adequately manage the risk of workers being injured when operating machinery. Also it was found the workers failed to operate in the correct way of working when using this equipment.

Total Polyfilm Ltd of Walton Summit Estate, Bamber Bridge, Preston, Lancashire pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and have been fined £6,000 and ordered to pay costs of £697.

After the hearing HSE inspector Jacqueline Ferguson commented: “This incident could so easily have been avoided by simply carrying out correct control measures and safe working practices.

“Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.” 

In another case of a worker becoming trapped in machinery, officials from the Health and Safety Executive are looking into an accident at a Grange Moor farm on 10th February 2017 which left a man with terrible arm injuries.

Firefighters were called to Newhall Farm in Wakefield Road on Thursday morning to reports that a man had become trapped in a bailing machine.

The man, who has not been named, is believed to have been repairing the machine.  He was released by fire crews. The man was losing blood and because his injuries were so severe the Yorkshire Air Ambulance was drafted in.

He was flown to Leeds General Infirmary with what were described as “life-changing” injuries.  It is believed the man will need extensive surgery on his injured arm.  Medics from the air ambulance spent around half-an-hour working on the man before he was stable enough to be flown to hospital.

Staff at family-run Newhall Farm, close to the Grange Moor roundabout, were left shocked at what happened and were too distressed to talk.  The farm sells hay and haylage commercially and also provides stabling and livery services to horse owners.

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said: “I can confirm the HSE are aware of the incident and are making enquiries to ascertain if there have been any safety breaches.”