Engineer sentenced for unregistered gas work

A plumber from South Devon has been sentenced after conducting unregistered gas work and leaving it in a dangerous state.

Torquay Magistrates heard how Stephen Barton undertook the installation of a gas cooker and gas boiler at two separate properties in Dawlish and Exeter during January and May 2016. Gas Safe Register who inspected his work at the homes classed it as dangerous.


An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Stephen Barton wasn’t Gas Safe Registered at the time he conducted this work.

Stephen Barton of Park Road, Dawlish pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations 1998 and breaching Section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. He has been sentenced to undertake 300 hours of unpaid community work and to pay £3,600 in costs.

Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Simon Jones said: “Stephen Barton undertook gas work which he knew he was not registered to do.

“All gas work must be done by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life.”

To find a Gas Safe registered Engineer or to report a complaint about unsatisfactory work by an engineer use the following link:

The Gas Safe Register have a specialist team to track down rogue individuals carry out unregistered gas work and discourage them from operating illegally. They will work closely with HSE on any enforcement action. If you suspect that someone is working on gas appliances without being Gas Safe registered you can make a report to the Gas Safe Register through their website .

All Gas Safe registered engineers carry ID cards which tell you which appliances they are qualified to work on so don’t be afraid to ask to see this ID.

If your Gas Safe registered Engineer recommends that more work needs to be done on your appliance always follow the advice given. If you have doubts over the advice follow it in the interim period and contact Gas Safe Register website for further advice.

NB : This news article contains public sector information published by the Health and Safety Executive and licensed under the Open Government Licence.