Roofing contractors sentenced over unsafe roof work

Two local roofing contractors have been sentenced after putting their workers at risk of harm during roof replacement works in Oldham. MKM Fabrications Ltd had been employed as the principal roofing contractor to carry out a roof replacement on one of the buildings at Valley Mills, Millgate, Delph, Oldham which is currently used for textile production. The company subcontracted part of the project, which involved replacing a northern light roof structure with a modern composite roof, to Clad-It Limited, which effectively meant employees from two companies were alongside one another. Concerns were raised to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) claiming that men were working on the roof with nothing … Read More »

Company given record fine for breaching fire safety regulations

A property company has been fined almost 4 million pounds for breaches in fire safety regulations which killed an elderly women at a Surrey retirement home. FirstPort Limited, formerly Peverel Management Services, was prosecuted by Surrey Fire and Rescue Service following a fatal fire at Gibson Court, Hinchley Wood in September 2011. The property management firm, whose registered address is in Queensway, New Milton, Hants, pleaded guilty in July last year to four offences under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. They are: – failed to make a proper fire risk assessment of the building – failed to take general fire precautions – failed to maintain fire precautions including fire barriers in … Read More »

Engineer sentenced for unregistered gas work

A plumber from South Devon has been sentenced after conducting unregistered gas work and leaving it in a dangerous state. Torquay Magistrates heard how Stephen Barton undertook the installation of a gas cooker and gas boiler at two separate properties in Dawlish and Exeter during January and May 2016. Gas Safe Register who inspected his work at the homes classed it as dangerous.   An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Stephen Barton wasn’t Gas Safe Registered at the time he conducted this work. Stephen Barton of Park Road, Dawlish pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations 1998 and breaching Section … Read More »

Fine for fire safety breaches for rogue Cleethorpes guest house landlord

The landlord of a guest house in Cleethorpes has been fined £5,000 for fire safety breaches as part of a crackdown against poorly managed and hazardous rented houses in multiple occupation. Bhupendrakumar Chhotubhai Patel, owner of Camelot Guest House in Isaac’s Hill, Cleethorpes, was found guilty of six fire safety breaches related to him letting out the premises with insufficient fire protection and failing to manage the property correctly. As part of a crackdown by North East Lincolnshire Council and its partner Engie, housing enforcement officers visited the property with colleagues from Humberside Fire and Rescue on August 30 last year. Officers found piles of rubble and an old fridge blocking … Read More »

Two construction companies fined after worker suffers severe electric shock

BAM Construction Limited and Shoreland Projects Limited have been fined after a man suffered multiple life changing injuries from a severe electric shock including horrific burns to his neck. Winchester Crown Court heard how BAM Construction Ltd had been appointed by Network Rail to construct a new railway operating centre in Basingstoke. BAM later appointed Shoreland Projects Ltd as the groundworks contractor for this project. On 26 January 2015, when work began to install lampposts on the site entrance road, the fifth lamp post touched the 11kV overhead power lines when it was being lifted into position by an excavator, causing Mark Bradley to receive the electric shock, inflicting terrible injuries. A colleague … Read More »